- Creating Buy-in
- Developing Polices and Procedures
- Assessing Collection Vulnerability
- Environmental Controls
- Examination & Quarantine
- Awareness & Training
- Working with Pest Management Professionals
To assist institutions in implementing the specific procedures needed to execute a comprehensive IPM program, the IPM Working Group has developed a series of procedures templates. The templates can be found within their respective sections. The documents contain suggested headers and topics to guide you in writing documents tailored to your institution and situation. Some examples of additional resources written by individual institutions are also provided for reference.
Learning how colleagues have implemented IPM programs in their institutions may provide tips that can be usefully adapted to your own particular circumstances. The Institutional IPM session at the 2014 MuseumPests Conference presented a number of useful case studies. Also in 2014 the Textile Specialty Group of the American Institute for Conservation hosted Stressed About Pests? A Panel Led Discussion on Integrated Pest Management. In the session the three presenters discussed challenges and approaches to implementing IPM in their institutions.
- Bernice Morris, IPM Coordinator at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, discussed the development of a written IPM policy, the challenge of making the best use of monitoring data and systems put in place for preventing infestations in the costume and textile collection.
- Patricia Silence, Conservator of Museum Exhibitions and Historic Interiors at the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, gave an overview of the challenges of implementing IPM in a large institution with historic and contemporary structures.
- Rachael Perkins Arenstein of A.M. Art Conservation, LLC and Co-Chair of the IPM-WG spoke about issues she has seen as a consultant working with small to mid-size museums and what conservators should be aware of combating IPM challenges with institutional clients.
This document by the Smithsonian also provides a checklist of considerations for IPM implementation.